Friday 12 October 2018

The Black Art of Normal



So I’ve called this BLOG ‘The Art of Normal’ because I think something we with Mental Health challenges to navigate ask ourselves ‘What is Normal?’,’Whatever Normal Is?’, it seems in reality being ‘Normal’ is a Black Art and actually I guess for me it feels like it might mean being Bland.   What I actually feel, after a number of years contemplating my BiPolar II, is that I want to be more even headspace wise and more resilient before, during and after episodes.   I think that’s probably the best I can ask for.
I’ve said before that the key thing to hold onto when you are in a dark place is that its likely that ‘You Are Not Alone (YANA)’, there will be folks facing the same challenges that you can perhaps link in with online or you may directly know but your Family & Friends are probably more forgiving that you think about your condition, some family’s are admittedly harder work than others though. I though have asked myself, “When will it end?” more times than I like to think. I, too, have questioned why I can’t just be “normal.”   If you’ve been in a dark place for a long time now, I want you to know you’re not alone.  It can be hard to know how to escape the darkness, or if it’s even possible.
I guess the twee advice here is ‘Look for the Light’, whatever lights your life up generally, for me currently my Grandchildren can spark a smile when nothing else can.  Reading a moldly old comic book can do it too or an old wobby set episode of Tom Baker Doctor Who.
I understand that when we want to feel ‘normal’ we can also feel ‘hopeless’.

Here are some posts from The Mighty that may help you: -

Resources like the Mighty can be useful when you feel hopeless, we will be exposed to Happy & Sad however we need to hold onto the Happy stuff as hard as we can and grab more of it.

Peace.

    Tony

No comments: