Friday 15 January 2016

twelve symptoms #12 , apols it took rather longer than the 12 days of christmas ...............

##12. Hopelessness / Suicidal Thoughts


For me, I can spot when I’m depressed but I can seem to do very little about it, but I know I’m depressed.  A telling symptom of a depressive episode associated with bipolar is an overwhelming feeling of sadness and hopelessness. We can fall into a state of depression and this then means that the symptoms flip from those associated with manicness/mania  (where sufferers can have heightened happiness and euphoria). You will often quiet quickly become sluggish/fuggish and won’t see much point in trying to hit goals.  Another common symptom is a near-total loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed, music, books, film, children, friends, I’m told this includes sexual activity. This can be seen as juxtaposed to what happens during a manic episode, when sufferers tirelessly pursue their interests and may engage in compulsive, excessive behaviour.
Sufferers with bipolar disorder will often feel sad and depressed, feel hopeless. I have never felt so hopeless as to have plotted anything suicidal however, and I need to be careful regards this as members of my family will read this blog, I have had thoughts about how much better off people would be without me.  I’m worth more dead due to pensions and death in service benefits BUT I’m not!  Because ultimately we are of such great emotional value to our friends and family who love us that we must absolutely fight the devil on our shoulder here.  Suicidal thoughts can be extremely dangerous, since bipolar disorder also commonly includes compulsiveness. A sufferer feeling despondent to the point of suicide may have the compulsion to act on that, it’s really key that we can stay aware such that we don’t find ourselves in this place.

If these symptoms present themselves to you to any degree, please seek medical or professional attention immediately. Sufferers  with suicidal ideas or exhibiting suicidal behavior need quick and keen interventions to tackle these ideas/behaviours.

No comments: